My first Blog! Please follow along and comment on any anything that piques your interest - either good or bad. Like most blogs, I'll be addressing things that are interesting to me in the world. Thanks for reading
The Minnesota Vikings are playing the used to be vaunted, Chicago Bears Monday night. If the Vikings can show up at even 10% more than they did against the Carolina Panthers last week, it should be an easy victory. The whole Favre - Childress discussion has been blown way out of proportion. The Panthers had stuck with Jake Delhomme through the first few games when he was easily the worst quarterback in the league. You don't drop your stud, especially one you wooed so hard like Childress did with Favre. If he's your guy, he's your guy up 7-6, down 6-7 or worse.
So what Tiger Woods? He's a world famous, rich, handsome golfer. He was highly unfaithful to his wife Elin. This faithlessness in all it's glory has been discussed and written about Coast to Coast, Continent to Continent. Now Woods is a rich, handsome and INfamous golfer. I am shocked by the deluge of hate and bitterness being thrown towards Woods for the past month. Why? Infidelity is unfortunately so common place in today's world, why are we shocked? Because of his stature, his money, the hero worship? His race? I'm not defending Tiger Woods. I've never met him, never will. I will say this, the only time I watch golf is when Woods is playing. He's the only reason I know any golfers at all. Did he screw up? Most definitely. Has he hurt his family? Without a doubt. Will he pay a great price for his transgressions? Yes. Should he? Yes. Will I still watch him when he golfs again? Yes. Will he be the last famous athlete, actor or politician to be unfaithful to their spouse and family? No.
Will 2010 be the year of the iTablet? The new latest and greatest thing from Apple? Will it be revolutionary? I don't know. Will I want one? Yes. My iPhone has now become an irreplaceable part of my life. I often think of the future of technology. Technology is useful only as it can be used to better or improve our lives. Will we reach the time when we're allowing "them" to insert chips into our bodies so that we are always connected/attached? So that we can play movies in our brains like we were at the best theater? So that we have a live feed from the "internet" or whatever it's called in the future? While some of this might be good, I worry that we're destined to be the people in Wall-E, think about it.
So, Christmas? Only the 2nd in 42 years that I've not spent with my family. On odd feeling that. Intellectually, I know I've/we've been fortunate. However, that doesn't make it feel any better. This year the cause was the latest "storm of the century". My wife and I have enjoyed the time together, but something is missing. How have these Holidays been for all of the families who are in dire straits? Loss of job(s), home or sick?
We live in interesting times. I just finished listening to Donald Sutherland read "The Old Man and the Sea". Sutherland did an outstanding job reading it. This is a book that many U.S. students read somewhere around 9th - 11th grade. However, everyone who read it then, should read it again when they're...older. Go ahead, it's a short book. Read it, or download it, but it has so much more meaning now as an adult.
This is a lot of nothing for a first entry. I hope to not rabble so much in the future.
Merry Christmas to All!
No comments:
Post a Comment