So, today the Space Shuttle Atlantis launched in what is to be the last mission for the Space Shuttles. Boy, how time flies. I can remember quite distinctly being in 7th grade when the 1st one launched! Folwell jr. High in South Minneapolis. Nearly 800 7th thru 9th graders crammed into the auditorium to watch maybe 15 tv's spread across the stage... The teacher's working diligently to keep we kids under control and our attention focused on the Tv's... I was awed; and still am to this day.
I remember many years later being at college at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire when the Challenger Exploded, and how no one went to class or left their dorms for days. How sobering it was that "we failed". And yet, to consider all that is involved in launching humans into space, it's really a wonder it didn't happen more often.
31 years of missions. What have we learned, was it worth the price? I say Yes! Granted I'm kind of a nerd that way, but I'm saddened we've got nothing else ready to follow up. Nothing "bigger n' better" to take the Shuttles place. No real plans for going back to the Moon or Mars.
In the 60's the nation rallied around NASA and the Space Race, it was a matter of pride and a question of "Can we do it?" The answer was a resounding "Yes!" Then the Space Shuttle missions came and at first they were exciting, but in short order they became "Ho Hum.". There was no great plan, no adventure to them. People lost interest. It seemed to be a terrible expense with little payoff. And that is what the government and the NASA missed, didn't understand. Most people will embrace the financial cost if the mission is worth it. If the goals are exciting. Taking pictures, doing experiments and building/fixing the Space Station isn't exciting.
Part of the mission of NASA should be to keep the masses excited. "Hey, we're working on... And it's going to be Great!" Maybe then, the people and congress would be willing to loosen the purse strings just a little so we could dream big again.
No comments:
Post a Comment