As a teacher in a high poverty district in Minnesota, I get that teaching young men and women who come from poverty is difficult. However, I am very troubled - as is Mr. Tough, by the idea that these school leaders are referring to their students as "oranges" and "grapefruits". The inherent bias and belief that their students are DIFFERENT than other kids and so should have lower expectations is insulting to those students and their families. It reminds me of a scene from "Lethal Weapon 2", please stay with me. Danny Glover's character goes to the South African embassy and is talking to a worker there, telling him that he wants to become a South African citizen. Incredulously, the embassy workers blurts out "But, but, you're BLACK!"
Turn that scene around, one of the students walks into the office of these school leaders and say's "I want to go graduate, I want to go to college." The leader looks at the student and blurts out "But, but, you're POOR!"
Poverty is an obstacle. Single parent families can be an obstacle, but not always. As a front line teacher, the biggest obstacle, in my humble opinion is Belief and Faith.
1)Belief in the Value of Education and the that the hard work will pay off.
2)Faith. Faith in themselves. That they can do it. Faith that their teachers are willing to work with them.
High Expectations are what is needed here, not lower. I have variations of the following conversation multiple times every school year.
"I know you've got some tough things going on in your life. But, I'm going to continue to push you, because I believe in you and want you to be the best you can be."
If we fail these students with low expectations, our country will struggle to rebuild it's economy and hold it's global position. Because graduate or not, what jobs are these students going to be able to perform? What will their quality of life be? We need to break the cycle.
No comments:
Post a Comment